SWPL | A disappointing defeat in East Kilbride

Spartans travelled to K-Park in search for their first points of the 23/24 campaign, coming up against a Motherwell side hoping to achieve the same feat.



It was a relatively lively start to the game, with both sides exchanging possession, neither team able to create any clear cut changes in the early stages. Alana Marshall was the first to test Emily Mutch in the Motherwell net, her corner looks to be evading everyone and into the goal, Mutch is there with a strong hand to palm away, denying the Spartans skipper an opener.


Hannah Jordan was next to put the Motherwell number 1 to work, she took a shot on the half-volley, Mutch again equal to it and gathered well. Motherwell were next to search for the opener, the ball was nodded down to Boyce at close range, however the Motherwell striker fired wide of the mark. Shortly after, Berman would receive a yellow card for some malarkey with a Motherwell defender after the ball had cleared out for a goal kick.


Spartans looked to create from a smart set play, Marshall flashing the corner straight to the edge of the box to Clelland. The full-back had a fierce effort toward goal that sailed over the top of the crossbar. Motherwell’s new addition Bailey Collins had an effort right on the half way mark, nothing to trouble Harrison as the Spartans ‘keeper seen it wide of the post.


Boyce again looked lively in the early stages of the second half. The number nine breaking into the box, beating her marker and having her effort on goal well stopped at the near post by Harrison.


Moments later, Spartans would create a couple opportunities to break the deadlock. Marshall flashed the ball across the six-yard box, no takers in a red and white shirt to tap home. Mutch then came to collect a loose ball, it looked likely to fall at the feet of Galbraith however Mutch gathered at second attempt.


The home side would continue to test the Spartans defence, Boyce again breaking into the Spartans box. This time her shot could only find the side netting. The hosts would eventually find the opener, substitute McDonald-Nguah finding herself free in the box from a set-piece, firing the ball past Harrison to break the deadlock at K-Park on the 82nd minute mark.