SWPL | An important three points for Spartans

Spartans went on the road to Petershill Park in midweek Scottish Power SWPL action. The Edinburgh side hoping to get three points over a Partick Thistle side who had a strong start to season.


It was the visitors who had the brighter start to the game. An early corner resulting in Dion McMahon having a headed effort on goal, fairly tame as the Partick Thistle keeper collected. It would be Simone McMahon next up to have a shot on goal, picking the pocket of the Partick midfield, driving forward upon goal, her effort however always firing wide of the net. Douglas had a strong drive on the left hand side on the seventh minute of the game, resulting in a shot on Easdon’s goal but the ‘keeper saved well.


Megan Robb would have the first chance for the hosts, shooting from range, however no trouble for Yates in the Spartans net. Robb would look to turn playmaker moments later, slipping the ball through for Henderson who was bearing down on goal. The Thistle striker taking a heavy touch meant the ball fell at the feet of Yates who gathered confidently. Henderson would have another opportunity from a free kick but Yates was not to be beaten, producing a strong palm to send the ball over the bar.


Spartans would eventually break the deadlock five minutes before the half time whistle. A moment of quality from Hannah Jordan as the youngster turned on the edge of the box, sent her shot toward goal, the ball rifling into the bottom corner leaving Easdon no chance in the Thistle net.


Spartans started in the second half in the same fashion as the first. Gibb breaking forward with pace, cutting inside onto her left foot but the winger’s weaker foot effort looped over the net. Another chance a moment later, this time for Galbraith who eventually found the ball at her feet following a corner. The ball bouncing around in the wet conditions and just won’t sit for the striker, causing her to fire over the bar.


The hosts would look to threaten on the hour mark as they won a couple corners in quick succession, nothing coming of them to trouble Yates. Berman who had looked lively with the ball at her feet for the duration of the game would have her first real sight of goal, having an effort from the edge of the box, with a defender bearing down on her the whole way, would end up wayward of the mark. Another shot from range this time for the hosts testing their luck in the conditions, Sinclair straight down the throat of the Spartans number 1.


Spartans would have a couple chances to see out the game. First coming courtesy of substitute Alana Marshall. Marshall always a threat from set pieces as the midfielder fired a long range free kick toward goal, Easdon unable to collect at first attempt however a scramble in the box result in the flag being raised for offside. Two minutes before the end of the 90 would see Bates get to the ball before Easdon, the winger just having too much pace as she collects the ball to send her touch past the ‘keeper.


Partick Thistle throwing everything at a resolute Spartans defence as the game entered stoppage time. It would be Dion McMahon with the final action of the game, a strong clearance from a Thistle corner in the 94th minute would see the referee call time and Spartans take the three points back to Edinburgh.