SWPL | Points shared at Ainslie Park

It was another draw between Spartans and Partick Thistle as the two met at Ainslie Park in match day four in the SWPL.

It was a cagey opening 10 minutes in Edinburgh as both sides looked to settle into the game. Donaldson had the first shot of the afternoon but it didn’t trouble Harrison in the Spartans goal.


Cunningham was next to be called into action, Galbraith floated a dangerous ball into the Partick box which required a fingertip save to deny Bates a free header into the net. Spartans continued to test Cunningham, Robinson floated a dangerous ball into the box but it was well held by the Partick keeper.


Thistle attempted to trouble Harrison again, this time Falconer heading wide from the wide free kick.


Harrison’s game was cut short, an injury ending her afternoon with Yates coming on to replace her in the 22nd minute.


Spartans would have the best chance of the game so far moments later. Galbraith causing havoc on the wing meets Bates with the cut back, Bates denied her first goal in Spartans colours for a second game running. This chance was scrambled off the line.


Shortly after, the referee judged Jameison’s clearance to be a pass back, awarding the visitors an indirect free kick towards the edge of the box. The chance would come to nothing, Ria McCafferty putting her body on the line to block the shot before Yates calmly collects the rebound. The game heating up from then on, Docherty was booked for dissent in the aftermath and the sides went into the break level.


First chance of the second half fell to the hosts. Mason’s delivery from the corner well met by Jameison in the box but her effort was just wide of the post.


McKay was next to test a goalkeeper, her free kick was well taken by Yates again. Donaldson was later sent clean through on goal, Alicia Yates making herself big to put the striker off, the resulting effort flying over the goal.


In the denying 15 minutes, Spartans looked by far the likelier to get the winner. Substitutes McQuillan and Jordan linking up to send Jordan one on one with Cunningham, the effort flew agonisingly wide of the post. Moments later, Reynolds played the ball into Galbraith, the striker’s first time effort was well saved by the Partick goalie once more.