SWPL | Spartans earn a hard fought win on the road

 Debbi McCulloch’s side battled against a well organised Dundee United side at Gussie Park in the first of the post split fixtures.


The first chance of the game fell to Kat Smart in the middle of the box. Galbraith floating the ball into the box but the midfielder couldn’t send her shot towards the goal. The next chance would then fall to Galbraith, the striker tapping wide from close range following Gibb’s low cross into the box.


Sarah Clelland then sent a long throw into the box which Gibb headed down for Galbraith to strike, this effort blazed over the bar. Bates the next to provide pace on the wing, breaking into the box but her cutback could only find McNicoll in the Dundee United goal. Marshall next up to have an attempt on goal, her long range effort was again well collected by the Dundee United ‘keeper.


Robb was the first to go into the referee’s book. Her tackle on Marshall mistimed as the skipper skipped by. Clelland would take the resulting free kick which looked to test McNicoll but the goalkeeper was equal to it. No more chances would come and the half would end goalless.


Spartans came into the second half with the same energy as the first 45, immediately hitting the post through Bates who was then judged to have been offside.


Dundee United then had a fair share of possession but not much in the way of chances to trouble Yates in the Spartans net.


A penalty then awarded to Spartans as Dobbins shoves over Douglas in the box from behind. The Dundee United bench appeared flummoxed as the referee pointed to the spot. Galbraith converted to give the Edinburgh outfit a well deserved lead 10 minutes from the end.


There would be more late drama as substitute Guthrie would go into the referee’s book. Just three minutes later the Dundee United player would be booked again, seeing the home side reduced to 10 for the final minutes of the game. Spartans controlled the dying moments of the game and secured three points to take back to Edinburgh.