SWPL | Spoils shared in the Edinburgh Derby

Spartans traveled to Meadowbank in search of their first points of the season, hoping to get one over on local rivals Hibernian.


The opening 10 minutes of the game went by fairly quietly as both teams worked each other out. Alana Marshall would be the first player with a real effort at the goal, her long range effort sailing over the crossbar. The chances began coming in quick succession, Berman breaking into the box with pace, however her effort was just wide of the mark. Adams then had a chance for the hosts, a set-piece finding her in the box unmarked, the Hibernian number nine heading wide of the target.


The opener would come through full-back Sarah Clelland, an outstanding solo goal as she beats her defender, cuts inside and sends a looping effort over Fraine in the Hibernian net, leaving the ‘keeper no chance.  Sarah continued to look lively as she again beat her opposite number, the ball would eventually fall to Marshall who fired over.


Spartans wouldn’t have to wait long to double their advantage, the ball falling to Robyn McCafferty on the edge of the box, the centre half with a finish a striker would be proud of. Robyn cooly placed the ball into the bottom corner to send the visitors 2-0 up.


Clelland looked to have her second of the afternoon directly from the corner flag, denied by the post. Moments later, Marshall would again have a shot from range fly over Fraine’s crossbar.


The hosts would look to get back into the game, enjoying more possession in the last 10 minutes of the second half. Adams again missing a header in the box, followed by Fergusson who nodded wide at the back post. McGregor would then have a shot from the edge of the box fire wide of the post.


Spartans would end the half with a couple chances of their own, Clelland again looking dangerous as she crossed the ball into the six yard box, Fraine collecting before it could meet Galbraith at the back post. Galbraith would have an even better opportunity at the back post as Jordan lofted a pinpoint cross to the striker, Galbraith unable to direct her header goal ward. Gibb would then collect the ball and cut inside, forcing the Hibs ‘keeper into a smart stop on the stroke of the half to deny a Spartans third.


The second half began similar to the first, fairly quiet with the hosts having more possession but little to trouble Yates in the Spartans goal. On the Spartans attack, Jordan had an effort well blocked by a Hibs body, Marshall had a free kick opportunity in a dangerous area, however the midfielder’s effort was off target.


The real talking point of the match would come just after the hour mark. Dion McMahon judged to have fouled Boucom in the box, after some delay the referee points to the spot and sends off the Spartans number five to the bafflement of the Spartans players, staff and many in attendance. The number five who won the penalty, steps up to take and halves the hosts deficit from the spot.


The game turns into a fiery affair from that moment on, not much to trouble either keeper. Notley, McGregor and Birse all going into the referee’s book for various fouls over the park.


It would be a late late sucker punch for the 10 players of Spartans, who had defended resolutely for 30 minutes. A corner floated into the box in the six minute of added time fell to Nunn at the back post, who fires her strike into the back of the net. The whistle went after the restart, seeing the points shared in the latest instalment of the Edinburgh Derby.